The Texas Securities Act - Part 11
Sec. 15. Issuance of Registration Certificates to Dealers and Investment Advisers.
If the Commissioner is satisfied that the applicant for a dealer's or investment adviser's certificate of registration has complied with the requirements of the Act above, that the applicant has filed a written consent to service as and when required by Section 8 of this Act, and upon the payment of the fees required by Section 35 of this Act, the Commissioner shall register the applicant and issue to it or him a registration certificate, stating the principal place of business and address of the dealer or investment adviser, the names and business addresses of all persons interested in the business as principals, officers, directors or managing agents, and the fact that the dealer or investment adviser has been registered for a current calendar year as a dealer in securities or as an investment adviser. Pending final disposition of an application, the Commissioner may, for special cause shown, grant temporary permission, revocable at any time and subject to such terms and conditions as the Commissioner may prescribe, to transact business as a dealer or investment adviser under this Act. Any dealer or investment adviser acting under such a temporary permission, shall be considered a registered dealer or investment adviser for all purposes of this Act.
Sec. 16. Repealed.
House Bill 2255, Acts of the 77th Legislature, Regular Session, 2001.
Sec. 17. Form of Certificates to Dealers and Investment Advisers.
The certificate shall be in such form as the Commissioner may determine. Any changes in the personnel of a partnership or in the principals, officers, directors or managing agents of any dealer or investment adviser shall be immediately certified under oath to the Commissioner and any change in the certificate necessitated thereby may be made at any time, upon written application setting forth the fact necessitating the change. Upon the issue of the amended certificates, the original certificate and the certified copies thereof outstanding shall be promptly surrendered to the Commissioner.
Sec. 18. Registration of Agents of Dealers or of Representatives of Investment Advisers.
Upon written application by a registered dealer or investment adviser, and upon satisfactory compliance with the requirements of the Act above, the Commissioner shall register as an agent of such dealer or as a representative of the investment adviser such persons as the dealer or investment adviser may request. The application shall be in such form as the Commissioner may prescribe and shall state the residences and addresses of the persons whose registration is requested, together with such information as to such agent's or investment adviser representative's previous history, record and association as may be required by the Commissioner. Such application shall also be signed and sworn to by the agent or investment adviser representative for whom registration is requested. The Commissioner shall issue to such dealer or investment adviser, to be retained by such dealer or investment adviser for each person so registered, evidence of registration stating the person's name, the address of the dealer or investment adviser, and the fact that the person is registered for the current calendar year as an agent or investment adviser representative of the dealer or investment adviser, as appropriate. The evidence of registration shall be in such form as the Commissioner shall determine. Upon application by the dealer or the investment adviser, the registration of any agent or investment adviser representative shall be cancelled.
Sec. 19. Annual Registration; Renewals.
A. Except as provided in Subsections B and C of this section, all registrations shall expire at the close of the calendar year, but new registrations for the succeeding year shall be issued upon written application and upon payment of the fees as hereinafter provided, without filing of further statements or furnishing any further information unless specifically requested by the Commissioner. If any applicant is registered after December 1st of any year, he may immediately apply for a renewal of his registration for the ensuing year.
B. The Board by rule may adopt a system under which registrations expire on various dates during the year. For the year in which the registration expiration date is changed, registration fees payable after the 60th day and before the 30th day before January 1st of the next year shall be prorated on a monthly basis so that each person shall pay only that portion of the registration fee that is allocable to the number of months during which the registration is valid. On renewal of the registration on the new expiration date, the total registration renewal fee is payable.
C. Renewal of Registration.
(1) A person may renew an unexpired registration by filing a renewal application in the form prescribed by the Commissioner and paying to the Board, before the expiration date of the registration, the required renewal fee.
(2) If a person's registration has been expired for ninety (90) days or less, the person may renew the registration by filing a renewal application with the Commissioner and paying to the Board the required renewal fee and a fee that is equal to one-half of the original application fee for the registration.
(3) If a person's registration has been expired for longer than ninety (90) days but less than two years, the person may renew the registration by filing a renewal application with the Commissioner and paying to the Board all unpaid renewal fees and a fee that is equal to the original application fee for the registration.
(4) If a person's registration has been expired for two years or more, the person may not renew the registration. The person may obtain a new registration by submitting to reexamination and complying with the requirements and procedures for obtaining an original registration. The person must pay to the Board a fee that is equal to the original application fee.
(5) At least thirty (30) days before the expiration of a person's registration, the Commissioner shall send to the person at the person's last known address according to the records of the Board a written notice of the impending expiration of the registration.
(6) A person who sells securities or renders investment advisory services after the person's registration has expired and before it is renewed is subject to the sanctions provided by this Act for selling securities or rendering investment advice without being registered.
D. The Board may recognize, prepare, or administer continuing education programs for a person who is registered under this Act. If participation is required by the Board as a condition of maintaining the certificate or evidence of registration, a person who is registered under this Act must participate in the continuing education programs.
Sec. 20. Display or Advertisement of Fact of Registration Unlawful.
It shall be unlawful for any dealer, agent, investment adviser, or investment adviser representative to use the fact of his registry, by public display or advertisement, except as hereinafter expressly provided, for the registration certificate or evidence of registration or any certified copy thereof, in connection with any sale or effort to sell any security or any rendering of services as an investment adviser.
Sec. 21. Posting Registration Certificates.
Immediately upon receipt of the dealer's or investment adviser's registration certificate issued pursuant to the authority of this Act, the dealer or investment adviser named therein shall cause such certificate to be posted and at all times conspicuously displayed in such dealer's or investment adviser's principal place of business, if one is maintained in this state, and shall likewise forthwith cause a duplicate of such certificate to be posted and at all times conspicuously displayed in each branch office located within this state.